Limb One, Part One, Day one: All Eight Limbs




Last week I announced my intention to educate on the definition of yoga and begin to communicate all its different parts or limbs.  The first limb of yoga is called the YAMAS and there are FIVE of them.

Today we dedicated the month of June to the first of the five yamas which is called AHIMSA and means Non-Harm.  Much harder than any yoga pose I've ever attempted, is navigating through life without causing harm to myself or others.  Rather than try to take this all on in one chunk, I'll be sharing small ways we can practice AHIMSA together through the month of June.

In line with the already extremely popular movement Meatless Monday, I've dedicated Mondays in June to practicing non-harm of animals. You can participate with us by sharing an image and/or recipe of your vegetarian meal on Instagram, tagging us @landyoganyc and using the hashtag #alleightlimbs.

Devoting a day to eating only vegetarian isn't just an act of non-violence toward animals, it is a great aid to the environment.  Depletion of natural resources, most significantly fresh water, and release of harmful gas emissions from the abundance of waste are just two of the negative consequences of such abundant livestock.  I'm not a pure vegetarian and I'm definitely not preaching to anyone about what they eat. The goal is mindfulness, education, and balance. This month let's keep Meatless Mondays.

I ask you to rise to even a higher standard of NON-HARMFUL eating each Monday than simply the elimination of meat.  Mondays this month, we watch any consumption that may injure our minds, bodies, or spirits. Food has a strong effect on all levels of our being.

Eat Smart. Practice Yoga. All Eight Limbs.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,